Summer Camp Staff Resource
Are you tired of doing the same old routine? Why work at a fast food or retail establishment that focuses on sales when you can have opportunities like these that will prepare you for more meaningful endeavors?
Why Apply for a Camp Staff Job?
Here are a few of the countless reasons that are frequently expressed:
- To make lots of new friends in your area
- To spend a summer in the great outdoors where nature prevails
- To acquire experiential education (learning by doing) and new skills that will last a lifetime
- To be part of an effective team and to cooperate with others to get things done
- To learn how to lead others and to apply leadership skills
- To undertake and fulfill meaningful challenges and to earn the satisfaction of doing a job well
- To work with youth and adults of all ages
- To serve others (the most noble and fulfilling pursuit of all)
- To give something back for the opportunities you have received
- To live in a wholesome environment based on the Scout Oath and Scout Law
- To have meaningful spiritual experiences
- To have the advice, counsel, and support of senior staff who are dedicated to helping you succeed
- To be paid and receive food and lodging in return for something challenging and fun
- To be considered for jobs of greater responsibility and to receive letters of recommendation for other pursuits
2020 - Summer Camp Dates: Will include some to be announced.
Each staff member is provided with his/her room and board. All meals and living quarters are part of each staff member’s compensation. Living quarters are staff cabins that sleep 4 to a cabin and are small versions of a log cabin. Female staff members are given living quarters in one of the family cabins across the lake from the main side of camp. There is also a central Staff Lodge that provides a few extras for every staff member to enjoy.
Lesson plans will be provided as well as all equipment needed to teach the merit badge or program. Staff will provide the uniform they wear. Discounts are given to all summer camp staff through our Gastonia Scout Shop. Some staff positions will require a National accreditation certificate; we will send you to camp school at no cost.
Unlike other camps, your role as a staff member is not as a “camp counselor”. You will not be living and spending every moment with the Scouts in attendance. Instead, you will be an instructor teaching classes that each Scout will participate in. The Scouts have adults who come to camp with them and serve as their supervision. As an instructor you will teach Scouts your knowledge and expertise in the program area you work in.
Staff Reference Page
Assistant Aquatics Director
C.O.P.E. / Climbing Director
Dining Hall Staff
Outdoor Skills Director
Rifle & Shotgun Instructor
Shooting Sports Director
Trading Post Manager