2020 Membership Fee Change
Information updated on 7/1/2020.
To our Scouting volunteers and families,
Over the last few months, we have seen the Scouting community come together, even while physically apart, to bring solutions, relief and comfort to those in need. Scouting has been a vital partner for communities across the country for over a century.
The value of Scouting is undeniable for those within the program and the greater public, and we are committed to continuing to offer this unmatched opportunity to young people and families nationwide. Across the country and in each of our communities, we know that Scouting remains one of the most valuable investments we can make in young men and women today so they can become the leaders we will turn to tomorrow.
The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) has worked to keep the membership fee as low as possible. Unfortunately, operating costs have continued to rise and COVID-19 has compounded the need to increase the fee to maintain the program.
The national membership fee helps pay for the cost of essential services, including program resources, liability insurance for those participating in approved Scouting activities, youth protection and other local council resources.
NATIONAL MEMBERSHIP FEES
To ensure we have the resources to fulfill the promise of Scouting, the updated national membership fee will be:
- $66 for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts participants
- $42 for Exploring participants
- $42 for all adult volunteers (includes cost of background check)
- $75 for a unit charter fee
EFFECTIVE DATES: NEW MEMBERS
- NEW membership fees will take effect August 1, 2020, for in the 2020-2021 program year. Also, starting August 1, 2020, there will be a one-time $25 joining fee for new program participants in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts.
- There is no joining fee for participants previously registered in any BSA program, those transferring from one program to another, or adult volunteers.
EFFECTIVE DATES: RENEWING MEMBERS
- New fees for RENEWING members will take effect on October 1, 2020.
- The unit charter fee of $75 will take effect August 1, 2020, for all new and rechartering units.
LOCAL COUNCIL FEES
Additionally, local councils may add up to $66 for program fees and insurance. The Piedmont Council wants to limit additional fees as much as possible and only seeks to cover increasing insurance costs by adding the following local fees:
- $9 for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts participants
- $6 for Exploring participants
- $6 for all adult volunteers